The focus of the 6th grade is to understand God’s revelation through scriptures particularly through the Old Testament. Based on the sturcture of the Catechism of the Catholic Church the course provides the information the student needs to understand God’s call while challenging ourselves to do His will in order to experience God’s promise of everlasting life.
Fully Alive helps parents inpart on their children a Christian vision and understanding of sexulaity, personal relationships, and the right of human freedoms.
This course will develop computational, procedural, and problem-solving skills as well as learning, practicing, and reviewing vocabulary. It will further introduce skills in identifying geometric shapes and computing perimeter, circumference, area, and volume.
Pre-Algebra I (Honors)
Introduce students to the concept of integers and the relationship between integers and whole numbers. Learn to add, subtract, multiply, and divide integers and algebraic expressions involving integers, incorporating order of operations. Learn to use decimals in estimation, addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division equations.
Learn the concepts of exponents, scientific notation, and factoring. Introduced to the concept of fractions as rational numbers and learn to use them in equations. Changing rational numbers to decimals is also developed
This introductory Middle School English class reintroduces the student with grammar terms and concepts presented in the elementary grades. The writing focuses in on sentence structure and paragraphing. Both formal and creative writing are explored as students utilize the writing process to generate drafts, edit, revise, and hand in final drafts.
The students will continue to enjoy and appreciate reading the world of literature through novels, the anthology text book and poems that have been selected for their appropriate age levels.
This is a general course on the study of Earth Science. The course covers the many aspects of Earth Science, and gives the student an idea of how they relate to their lives and the environment.
Students will learn about the ancient cultures of the world, beginning with the first civilized culture and following through the early cultures and the industrial revolution.
Students are introduced to keyboarding. Proper keyboarding technique as well as speed and accuracy are stress. Keyboarding is a foundational skill needed to be successful in advanced computer studies. A lifelong skill, keyboarding will be utilized in student studies for Middle School, High School, College and future occupations. This class will teach students not only the proper techniques but also posture, keystokes, finger palacement and reach. Mastering the skill of proper keyboarding will be achieved through class instruction, practice and assessment. Increased accuracy and speed will ber achieved as keyboarding techinique is nastered. Proper keyboarding skills will also be applied in application sype software programs. We utilize the Internet websites “Chyersmart” amd “NetSmartz” when instructing the sudents in how to use the Internet safely, responsibly, and effectively.
This class introduces some basic vocabulary and grammar concepts along with a smattering of culture and geography to the 6th grade Middle School Student. Ten weeks are spent exploring each language French and Spanish. Various themes will be addressed in each target language. Classroom activities provide practice in speaking, reading, listening and writing.
- Art: This year, middle school art students will be learning about diverse cultures, artists, and art movements through critiquing and creating specific characteristics in a variety of artworks. Students will experiment with a variety of mediums and techniques in creating two and three-dimensional works of art. Students will be following specific guidelines yet strongly encouraged to express their own unique, creative style. Each lesson will be related to the elements and principles of design as well as the National Art Education Standards.
- Band: This class is for students who are interested in playing in band. Many of the students in this class will have already played in 4th and 5th grade but the class is open to everyone.
- Choir: This class will continue the singing experiences began in elementary school. Students will improve their singing skills with daily singing, emphasizing proper vocal technique. Music theory, notation, history and interpretation will be integrated and applied in each lesson. Students will sing at weekly mass and perform in one or more concert(s). This class may be taken multiple times throughout middle school.
- Drama: This is an introductory course to Drama and it will go over the basics of acting, in addition to learning about non-acting jobs involved in presenting plays.
- Physical Education: Students will receive a sequential educational program that provides students with the knowledge, skills, fitness, and attitudes necessary to lead a healthy lifestyle.